Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cheater Chili

So things are starting to heat up around here, and I want to sneak in a couple of wintery dishes before we hit triple digits.  It's supposed to dip back down to the 70s on Saturday, so I'll be making this, the only recipe I've come up with myself.  Cheater Chili.  Born of laziness and hatred of that lingering smell of onion on your hands that could scare potential suitors away while I was in college, Cheater Chili has actually become my favorite chili.

To be honest, the measurements listed are guesses.  I just tailor the recipe to what I have in the freezer/pantry and how long I want to eat leftovers. 

1 lb ground beef, browned (I usually get 93% lean conventional beef, or whatever is on sale if I get organic beef)
1 can low sodium or no salt added red kidney beans, rinsed (make sure you go with the low sodium, since you'll be adding a lot later on)
1 can chili beans (cheat #1.  I get mild) OR 1 can of any other bean, like pinto or black, rinsed (resulting in lower sodium.  The end result will still have a lot of flavor)
Salsa (cheat #2.  Get whatever heat level you like and whatever level of chunkiness you like for the veggies.  I like a lot of veg and very chunky, and often use a large jar of mild, chunky salsa + some smoother, mild salsa to thin the whole batch out)
1 packet of Chili-O or something similar (cheat #3.  I get mild or original.  Add slowly and taste.  Some are quite salty and you won't need the whole packet.)

Heat up the works.  Garnish with avocado or sour cream or grated cheese.  Use to top baked potatoes.  Anything goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment