Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Good Eats, Courtesy of Beaba

We were fortunate enough to receive a Beaba Babycook steamer/blender/warmer/defroster as a baby shower gift, which fit right in with our plan to make C's food from natural, organic ingredients.  He's edging on 6 months now, and has been eating rice cereal for a week, so I thought it was high time I broke out the Babycook.  Isn't it cute?


I decided to go ahead and make C's next two weeks' of food (right now he's still on breast milk except for one meal in the evening, which is rice cereal.  We will be serving him one new organic fruit or vegetable every 4-5 days with a smaller portion of rice cereal or just milk).  This week we're doing avocado (which doesn't need to be cooked, just blended until smooth with a bit of milk).  Then sweet potato and pear will come next.

All I had to do was chop up the produce, throw it in the basket, add the appropriate amount of water to the tank (there's a reference guide in the manual), and turn the thing on.  Minutes later I had perfectly steamed sweet potatoes and pears.  I chose to leave all of the water left from the steaming process in the container, but you can drain some or add a different liquid if you like when you puree.  (I like the water because it contains some nutrients from the vegetables/fruits).  Anyway, next I dumped the cooked produce from the basket into the container, put on the lids and turned the dial to blend.  At this point you can choose how chunky you'd like the baby food, and since C is a beginner, I pureed it until it was smooth.   

Same story for the pears. I peeled them first, although I should've steamed them with the skins to get all of the nutrients, and then peeled before pureeing.  

So far I love my Beaba Babycook! 

No comments:

Post a Comment