Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eat Up, Baby!

I had a 2 1/2 hour class on breastfeeding last night with the best lactation consultant. I actually feel prepared and capable! I still don't see how I could ever be comfortable nursing in public, but maybe in the privacy of baby's sling it'll be okay. That brings up a couple of things...

-Have you noticed, among your friends, that when a woman becomes a mother she often loses a considerable portion of her self-consciousness? I'm incredibly shy, so on one hand I hope that'll be true for me, but on the other hand, I'm frequently embarassed for other people who seem oblivious to the scene they're part of, and I don't want to be that person.

-Have you noticed that mothers are more likely than any other women to discuss things openly that my be best kept to their inner circles, such as bodily fluids/functions?

-Have you noticed that parents sometimes wear enormous blinders when it comes to their children? Blinders that make it possible for them to believe that their children are perfect and teachers, etc, are too hard on them or unfair? Hey, I love my baby, but no one's perfect and everyone needs discipline and boundaries.

It's not my intent to judge the parenting of others. I just wonder how the birth of a baby can so completely change one's nature.

Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment